Monday, February 25, 2008

Don't make me pull this bike over!

Well, todays goals of getting out and going to the library and the post office have been ditched. I started checking e-mail and then got on Facebook to see how my new group is doing, and then I checked MySpace to see if any of my friends had dropped me a message there. Then, I got on Ravelry... this ate up over an hour on it's own as I can spend forever on Ravelry and not even realize that time has past. I've also discovered some new "open source" pattern website where you can look at and or download sewing patterns for free... by the time I finished messing around it was play time. So I spent a little time hanging out with the kids. I spent an hour getting them to clean up their mess, and then it was lunchtime. At some point we also had visitors stop by for a few minutes a piece. Oh! I also started baking bread which is a 6 hour process that I just have to check on every once in a while once it gets going.

This brings us to naptime. After 45 min of Al insisting that he would go to sleep in his bed on his own, "Mine Self Mommy!" I finally walked in, snatched him out of bed and loved on him until he fell asleep. I then put him in bed and satisfied my preschoolers need to play Zelda vicariously through me. "Mommy play Zelda! Mommy please play Zelda!" At some point I cleaned the kitchen (which is now dirty again). Al woke up at a little after 4. I spent an hour attempting to get shoes on children who kept turning "Word Girl" on and refusing to move before I finally looked at the clock and decided that by the time we got to the library we would just have to come strait home because it would be getting dark and I am not riding around with the kids in the trailer at dusk, it's just too dangerous.

So, I loaded the kids in the bike trailer anyway and explained that if they had stopped watching TV and put on their shoes when I told them to that we would have made it to the library. But as is we were going to take a ride because Mommy had already pulled the trailer out and needed to get some exercise. I took them on a meandering ride through the neighborhood that at one point would have been rather taxing but after I got my rear end moving it was actually quite nice.

However, on the first little hill we were going pretty slow. Rhys, being the preschooler that he is, demanded to know why we were going so slow. Grrr Argh! I stopped and informed him that he had grown significantly since we had taken this route last and that it was harder to get up the hill. I got back on and got moving. I finally picked up some speed and got going when Rhys starts whining about not going to the library. Rather than have this discussion over my shoulder, I pulled the bike over and reminded him that he chose to watch TV instead of going to the library. He started to whine again before I even got on the bike so I asked him to be quiet for a while. Eventually I picked up enough speed that everyone forgot about the library. I really don't know how far we went but my legs were totally shot at the end of the ride.

The kids played a game of tag in the front yard while I got the bike and trailer packed into the storage room. This eventually ended badly but I'm just not going there. This kids are now happily tucked in bed, I've made myself a little bit of chocolate decadence and I'm going to chill out and watch total trash on TV while knitting. I think I'll make a Jayne hat tonight...

So... tomorrows to do list:
Gardening
Post Office
Library
Park (the kids added this - I'm kind of afraid of the trip as its almost 100% uphill on a really busy road)

No comments: